History of Evangelical Free Church
The Evangelical Free Church of Clinton, Iowa, began in the 1940’s as a Sunday School ministry and was chartered with the
Evangelical Church of America in 1950. Those beginning few families have grown into a vibrant church which is now in its third location,
constructed in 1988. Evangelical Free Church has undergone many changes since its beginning days and looks forward to
God’s continued leading into the future.
- September 19, 2005Debt paid off. Many members continued to give well after the Debt Reduction campaign ended in 2002.
- December 31, 2002Debt Reduction campaign ends
- January 2001Debt Reduction project begun
- January 26, 1996Revised Constitution accepted by membership at annual meeting. Governing structure changed from General Board to Elder Board rule
- September 1994Constitution Revision committee formed
- September 9, 1990Celebration Sunday: Dedication of 1st phase of Christian Education Building project and celebration of 2 years a the 13th Avenue North location held
- January 1990Lighthouse Project: Goal to raise $62,000 to build the Christian Education Building
- Fall 1988Freedom Campaign begins with purpose to pay debt on 13th Avenue North building
- September 18, 198813th Avenue North Open House held from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm
- September 18, 1988Dedication of 13th Avenue North location held at 3:00pm
- September 11, 1988First service at 13th Avenue North location held
- September 4, 1988Last services at 18th Street location held in the evening
- April 3, 1988Cornerstone Services for 13th Avenue North location held on Easter Sunday
- August 2, 1987Ground Breaking at 13th Avenue North
- June 11, 1986Dedication and mortgage burning for building at 1010 13th Avenue North
- January 1983Seasons of Promise fundraising campaign begins for 6+ acres of land for new building. A goal of $121,000 for land purchase is set; funds are raised in 14 months.
- 1976Awana Club ministry started
- August 8-10, 197525th Anniversary Celebration
- July 9, 1975Education Wing dedicated
- June 1975Education Wing building project begun
- September 3, 196218th Street building dedicated
- March 11, 1962First Service at 18th Street location held
- July 9, 1961Ground-breaking on the building at 955 S. 18th Street
- January 25, 1951Church begins with 16 Charter Members and 4 Honorary Charter Members.
- January 24, 1951Organized as a corporation with the State of Iowa
- January 25, 1949Messerli family hosts an open house at the parsonage on Camanche Ave.
- Summer 1948Vacation Bible School held
- January 1948The Messerli family moves to Clinton, Iowa in January
- October 1947Rev. Messerli travels from Coralville, Iowa each Sunday to serve as pastor.
- August 1947Two young women from the Bible Institute in St. Paul, MN hold children’s meetings in the afternoons. Sunday School started with Mrs. J. R. Baker in charge.
- July 1947Two weeks of special meetings held.
- June 1947A building known as Chancy Chapel located at 113 21st Place is purchased by the District.
- May 1947District Superintendent H. E. Sodergren and Rev. Rudolph Messerli
visit Clinton, Iowa to start church work.